Many people are anxious about contacting a church when they decide they wish to be married. Many wonder if they will be judged unfavourably because they are not members of the congregation, or have had no church connection for a long time.
At Mark Street, we strive to make your encounter with the church a positive one. We are always delighted when couples who marry here choose to make Mark Street their church home but church membership is not a prerequisite of your wedding. We have an inclusive wedding policy and welcome inquiries from both members and non-members of our congregation.
We do request that you follow these steps to ensure that your wedding at our church is a positive experience for all.
- Call the church office (742-2682) to book an initial appointment with the minister to discuss your wedding. Nothing is considered firm until this interview has taken place. We will book your wedding when we receive your deposit.
- There are normally two appointments with the minister. The first one is a “getting-to-know-you” time for both parties, and a conversation about what you have planned for your wedding ceremony. The second appointment deals more with the service itself – readings, vows, and so on. We appreciate receiving your marriage license and the balance of your fees two weeks prior to the wedding.
- You will also need to book an appointment with the church’s music director to discuss the music for your wedding. We can arrange for soloists and accompaniment as required should you so request.
- You may request that your wedding be conducted at a location other than the church. Such services are performed at the discretion of the minister.
- Thank you for considering Mark Street United Church and warm wishes for your special day.